Monday, March 27, 2017

San Francisco Memories

When I was young (2 to 7 years old),  my family lived in Oakland which is just across the bay from San Francisco. When I was in high school we lived in Concord and later in Lafayette. They are just over the hill from Berkeley ( about half an hour from San Francisco. My husband and I spent the first couple of days of our honeymoon at Fisherman's Wharf. Yes, memories of San Francisco are woven through my life.

From when I was little to when I was in junior college, I enjoyed the Golden Gate park. As we drove through the curving roads looking up at the towering tree limbs and old windmills.

We explored the gardens.

Nearby were many other exciting places.
I stared mesmerized watching the tide go in and out in the huge aquarium building and spent hours wandering though the immense art museum galleries. 

I enjoyed going to the zoo. Once I entered the Lion house just before feeding time. The place was empty except for me and the big cats. Suddenly, a male lion let out a roar that shook the bars and made my ears ring. He was hungry! 

When I was in junior college, my Institute group (college students who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) took children from the orphanage to the zoo. My partner and I took a little girl with a blond pony tail to the zoo several times. She loved it!

When I was very little, we went to the Storyland and rode the train at the zoo. I even had my birthday party at Storyland when I was very young. All the neighbor kids were invited and we ran around and played in all the kid-sized fairytale houses.


The Carousel was beautiful! I loved it when I was little, but it made me dizzy when I got older.


There was a small train at the zoo which was fun to ride. 

We saw all the fishing boats tied up to the piers and gaped at all the fish and seafood displayed at Fisherman's Wharf. A few times we even ate there. 

We'd walk around Chinatown. Once we went into a real Chinese furniture store. They quickly let us know that tourists were not welcome!
I like the quaint houses on the steep hills,
and riding the cable cars.

I enjoyed it when we drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and even just looking at the bridge as the wind from the ocean blew my hair and coat was something special.


I've heard people sing of leaving their heart in San Francisco and understand. I think a part of my heart will always be there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment